Occidental College is celebrating its “Homecoming and Family Weekend” on Friday and Saturday—a two-day event during which parents and alumni are invited to come to the campus and join students in an array of academic, extracurricular and sporting activities.
Oxy staff spent much of Friday gearing up for an expected flood of visitors—more than 900 of them, according to organizers.
Saturday’s events include:
• Occidental Children’s Theater: “Crouching Tiger, Sleeping Beauty” (Thorne Hall, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.)
• Women’s Soccer: Oxy vs. Chapman (Soccer Field, Upper Campus, 11 a.m.)
• Occidental Women’s Club Boutique (Academic Quad, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• All Aquatics BBQ and Silent Auction (Taylor Pool, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.)
• Swan Hall Dedication (Swan Hall, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
• Women’s Volleyball: Oxy vs. Redlands (Rush Gym, 6 p.m.)
• Men’s Football: Oxy vs. Pomona-Pitzer (Jack Kemp Stadium, 7 p.m.)
In addition, the following “Snap Talks” are scheduled:
• Food Arts and Entrepreneurship (Fowler 112, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.). Speakers include Robert Wicklund, Oxy alumnus, class of 2005 and co-founder of Spitz Restaurant in Eagle Rock; Duncan Marks, class of 2012 and production assistant at Babcock Winery; Teddy Zou, class of 2006 and owner of Boba Bear and Pho 4000.
• Social Media and Technology (Mosher I, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.). Speakers include Queenie Kwan, class of 2006, recruiter for Google; Joshua Lu, class of 2009, game maker for Playdom; Marla Potterveld, class of 2012, technical support engineer, Dropbox.